- Removed the 1.6.0 firmware from our servers to stop automatic updates and mitigate further issues
- Identified customers who we believe have been affected by this issue by reviewing our database records for ActiLife license numbers that received the 1.6.0 firmware update via the internet
- Directly contacted the owners of those licenses via email, notifying them of our plans to address the issue
ImpactThis problem impacts the raw data recorded by the activity monitor (the *.gt3x file) or any derivative thereof. Accordingly, any data generated from the raw data file (epoch-level *.agd files, any raw-data exports) are impacted. When processing *.agd files in ActiLife (e.g., when calculating Wear Time Validation or any Data Scoring outcomes that depend primarily on Y-axis movement), customers are likely to see differences in the data. Please note that while the orientation shift issue is present, there has been no loss of data. However, if any inferences, calculations or other algorithmic analyses have been made using this data, be aware that those results are likely not accurate.
On 16 March 2016, we released an updated version of ActiLife that addresses this issue. ActiLife 6.13.2 does the following:
- Exporting .gt3x files created by wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 devices to any format will automatically correct the axis rotation bug.
- Blocks the use of .agd files created by wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 without the automatic axis rotation.
When you attempt to load .agd files created by wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 without the automatic axis rotation, you will see the following prompt:
You no longer have to use the fixer tool from below. ActiLife 6.13.2 automatically rotates the data in .gt3x files when processing. If you don't update to ActiLife 6.13.2, you will need to continue running all .gt3x files through the fixer tool.
.gt3x File Repair ToolIf you are NOT using ActiLife 6.13.2, we have a batch processing tool that can be used to repair affected *.gt3x files. Once repaired, these files can then be exported (using any version of ActiLife) into the desired format (*.agd, *.csv, *.dat). If *.agd files are required for Wear Time Validation or Data Scoring, these repaired files can then be used. In addition, our hardware engineering team released an updated version of firmware (version 1.7.0) that corrects the orientation issue permanently on March 25, 2016.
- Download the fixer tool: https://dl.theactigraph.com/tools/ActiGraphMOSRotationFix.exe
- Once downloaded, double-click on the program to open the program.
- Add any suspected files by clicking the "Add Files to Fix" button
- Select an output directory where the fixed files will go.
- Click "Start Processing of Files" button
- Once complete, you can go to the location of the fixed files by clicking on the "Open Containing Folder" button
A few notes about the fixer tool:
- If you add .gt3x files that aren't from wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 devices, the fixer tool will copy the files to the output directory but it will not modify them.
- The fixer tool will not overwrite any files in the output directory. This prevents data loss.
- The labels to the right of the files names give a description on what was done with the file. They are:
- Fixed! - this file was from a wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 device and was corrected and copied to the output directory.
- Copied! - this file was NOT from a wGT3X-BT 1.6.0 device and was copied to the output directory without any modification.
- Any files that have errors during processing will show a RED 'X' to the left of the file name. Errors are also logged to a file in the same directory that the fixer tool is running .
- If you see the following error, you need to install .NET 4.0. Visit the following site to download .NET 4.0: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
What Else Should You Do?
- Discard any *.agd files that were created using AL 6.13.1 or older with wGT3X-BT firmware version 1.6.0. Be sure to keep your *.gt3x files.
- Disregard any results derived from *.agd files created with 1.6.0 firmware in combination with ActiLife 6.13.1 or older. This includes outcomes calculated within the Wear Time Validation, Data Scoring, Sleep, Batch Sleep, PLM, or Feature Extraction tabs within ActiLife.
- You can continue collecting your study data. If you are comfortable with the process of converting the data files after data collection, then continue collecting data for already-fielded activity monitors. The proposed fix will allow the data to be repaired after download.