The Log Diaries option in ActiLife 6.6.0 and greater improves the speed of processing by allowing users to include only specific time periods when performing analyses from within the Data Scoring tool. Similar to the Global Date/Time Filter feature in the Data Scoring tool, Log Diaries force ActiLife to only analyze time periods of interest while ignoring other time periods. Unlike the Global/Date Time Filters option, Log Diaries apply only to individual files. Each file may have many "on/off" times as recorded in a Log Diary and those times may differ from file to file.
Loading Log Diaries
ActiLife users must generate a log diary that matches a specific *.csv template that can be imported by the software. ActiLife uses the Subject Name field in an *.agd dataset to correlate the Log Diary entries with the specific file.
To get started, load the files that need to be analyzed into the Data Scoring tool. Note the "Log Diary" column. This column indicates whether or not a Log Diary has been associated with a specific file.
To associate log diaries with these files, click on the "import..." hyperlink from within the Data Scoring tab then click on the "log diary template (sample)..." link in the import form as shown below.
Log Diary Template Overview
The Log Diary template is a *csv file which can be edited in Microsoft Excel or any text based editor. The template contains six columns, described below.
- Subject Name - The "Subject Name" value in the *.agd file. This field is used to correlate the on/off times to specific files
- On Date - The date on which ActiLife should begin analyzing data.
- On Time - The time of day at which ActiLife should begin analyzing data.
- Off Date - The date on which ActiLife should stop analyzing data.
- Off Time - The time of day at which ActiLife should stop analyzing data.
- Category - The category of the particular log diary entry (e.g., "Walk," "Bath," etc)
Note: The format of the time and date fields should match the format of the local PC from on the template is being created.
Modify the columns to match the Log Diary for a particular dataset (or group of datasets) and save the template. Note that each file can contain multiple Log Diary entries and that time short form and/or military time formatting can be used.
Subject intermingling is allowed in the template and no particular order is required. An example is shown below:
Importing Log Diaries
Once the log diaries have been entered, save the diary. From within the Log Diary Import Form, click "Open" and browse to the Log Diary that was just created. The import form will report on the number of logs entered and whether or not those entries were valid or invalid.
Corrections to the Log Diary must be made in the *.csv file. Make any necessary corrections and re-import. Confirm that no errors were detected and click "Save to Files." Log diaries will be associated with their corresponding files and a "View Log Diary" hyperlink will appear in the "Log Diary" column in Data Scoring as shown. Although edits to the individual data set's Log Diary cannot be made from the viewer, the entire log diary for that particular file can be deleted by clicking "Delete All Entries."
Note: Log diary information is stored within the *.agd file and will always appear in Data Scoring, even if the *.agd files are shared with other users on different computers.
Note: Be sure to check the "Use Subject Log Diaries" option
Calculating Filtered Data
Below the "Filters (All-Inclusive)" header on the left side of Data Scoring in ActiLife are three main Filter options.
- Exclude Non-Wear Times from Analysis
- Use Subject Log Diaries
- Global Date/Time Filters
Each of these options tell ActiLife which time periods to INCLUDE. Whenever more than one option is selected, ActiLife will only analyze overlapping time periods. For instance, a Log Diary time of 8:00am to 9:00pm and a Global Date and Time Filter of 10:00am to 11:00pm have an overlap of 10:00am to 9:00pm and thus ActiLife will only analyze those time periods. If the "Exclude Non-Wear Times.." option is checked, any non wear periods during that time period will also be ignored. This process of eliminating undesired time periods speeds up ActiLife's processing time.
Choose the appropriate options and click "Calculate." The results displayed in the main grid represent data from those the Filtered time periods. Clicking the "Details" button reveals the minute-by-minute results from those periods as shown below. These results (summary and/or details) data can be exported byc licking on the Export buttons in the appropriate locations.
Some important things to note about Log Diaries:
- After importing, the time logs are stored within the *.agd file and can only be deleted by 1) loading the file in Data Scoring, 2) clicking "View Log Diary" and 3) clicking "Delete All Entries." Log diares do not affect any of the actual data in the *.agd file
- Log Diary information can only be changed by re-importing data from an updated *.csv template.
- Importing a Log Diary overwrites existing Log Diary entries for a given *.agd file.
- Files must be loaded in the Data Scoring grid prior to importing the Log Diary.
- The "Category" field is not used at this time. This was added to accomodate further expansion of the Log Diary tool and will be utilized later.
Log Diary Template Download
The Log Diary template can be downloaded here:
If you need any further assistance, please go to our support portal at https://help.theactigraph.com/home. From here, you can view many helpful FAQ's and Troubleshooting Articles; log in to check any existing Support Requests; or create a new Support Ticket if you are unable to find a solution. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (877) 497-6996, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm CST.